Basic Obedience Class
Classes are held on Tuesday evenings
The following list is a guideline of what you will be taught and assessed on in the Basic Obedience Class and includes the Canine Good Basic training also.
- Treat Taking – dog must be able to take a treat gently without snatching from an open hand
- Name Recognition – dog must respond straight away to its name
- Sit – dog will sit automatically
- Sit stay (30 seconds) – dog will sit and stay while owner walks away and stands in front of dog
- Play (with handler) – playtime with owner without dog becoming aggressive
- Watch – dog must look into owners eyes
- Targeting – dogs must target owners hands on command
- Food Manners – dog must sit and wait whilst food is put down and not eat until released by handler. Dog must also sit while owner eats without begging.
- Collar Hold – handler to hold dogs collar and walk a few paces without dog wriggling
- Controlled walk with turns – walk on loose lead
- Grooming – Handler must be able to check dog all over inc mouth. Instructor should be able to check most areas but not mouth.
- Down – dog must go down on command
- Down stay (1 minute) – dog will stay down while owner walks away and stands in front of dog for 1 minute
- Recall – dog told to wait while handler walks away turns then calls dog, dog comes and sits in front of owner
- Sit to stand – dog should stand from the sit on command
(Handlers under the age of 16 years must seek prior approval from the appropriate coordinator before registering) As a club we strive to ensure that our handlers can maintain control over their dog at all times while at the training grounds, therefore junior handlers will be assessed on a case by case basis each term.