Basic Obedience Class
Level 1 – Classes 6 months and above – Basic Obedience
Level 2 – Classes must have completed Level 1 – higher elements of dog training and would enable you to confidently go on to other dog sports
Classes are held on Tuesday evenings (some Sunday classes are available but are dependent on numbers)
The following list is a guideline of what you will be taught and assessed on in the Basic Obedience Class and includes the Canine Good Basic training also.
- Treat Taking – dog must be able to take a treat gently without snatching from an open hand
- Name Recognition – dog must respond straight away to its name
- Sit – dog will sit automatically
- Sit stay (30 seconds) – dog will sit and stay while owner walks away and stands in front of dog
- Play (with handler) – playtime with owner without dog becoming aggressive
- Watch – dog must look into owners eyes
- Targeting – dogs must target owners hands on command
- Food Manners – dog must sit and wait whilst food is put down and not eat until released by handler. Dog must also sit while owner eats without begging.
- Collar Hold – handler to hold dogs collar and walk a few paces without dog wriggling
- Controlled walk with turns – walk on loose lead
- Grooming – Handler must be able to check dog all over inc mouth. Instructor should be able to check most areas but not mouth.
- Down – dog must go down on command
- Down stay (1 minute) – dog will stay down while owner walks away and stands in front of dog for 1 minute
- Recall – dog told to wait while handler walks away turns then calls dog, dog comes and sits in front of owner
- Sit to stand – dog should stand from the sit on command
(Handlers under the age of 16 years must seek prior approval from the appropriate coordinator before registering) As a club we strive to ensure that our handlers can maintain control over their dog at all times while at the training grounds, therefore junior handlers will be assessed on a case by case basis each term.
Please see the Registration Tab to register